Monday 27 July 2009

Belgium, Cooking, Oudekerk, and more photos I found.

Going through the pictures on my camera, I realized I had totally forgotten I had taken a (very few) pictures during the bike tour and ensuing whiskey-tasting. They can be seen here. One of those is a historical drawbridge, and another a dome of some historical import that escapes me.

Also, I put up some pictures of my attempts at cooking stir fry. The first time, I could only find pre-cooked rice. It was yellow and flavorful enough, but lacked real... rice-ness. The second time, I started the chicken, added veggies, stirred in a coconut curry sauce, added some water, and let some of it simmer off for awhile. Meanwhile, I made jasmine rice, which turned out decently, if a tad smushy. For most of the simmer time I was afraid I had burnt the sauce, as the concoction started smelling slightly acrid. I would've taken it off, but I had added too much water initially and needed it to simmer off. Fortunately, my fears were unfounded, and the meal turned out deliciously. Now, here's to hoping coconut curry sauces are widely available in the US...

Also, out of pure laziness, I posted the entirety of my pictures from Belgium, as well as pictures I took at the Oudekerk this past weekend. My roommate and I visited the Oudekerk and took a tower tour as well. The church is one of the oldest in Amsterdam, very bare inside, and the floor is composed entirely of tombstones, some of which featured large seals in bas-relief. Not exactly the most accessibility-minded flooring choice :)

Disclaimer: I'm guessing most of these pictures are largely boring, since they have few people and mostly just things and places.

Pictures of Belgium

Pictures of the Oudekerk

Pictures from the bike tour

Pictures of cooking attempts

2 comments:

Candise and Crew said...

I have college friends who live at The Hague. I will send your mother their address and you can call in on Frits, Marlies, Iris, and Marjine. :-)
Warmly,
Candise & Crew

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Surely you will fix that dish for us when we visit in Chicago! Looks great! I believe coconut curry could be easily made.