Monday 3 September 2007

Drinking Fountains and Staying Hydrated

One cultural difference that is almost immediately apparent is the complete absence of drinking fountains in London; they are considered unhygienic (considering how dirty everything else in the public space is in this city, I would probably agree). Even in the US-centric London Centre there are no fountains, only a station to refill bottles with pure, filtered water. At breakfast I totally spaced out buying a bottle of water for refills later, and as a result was very thirsty the whole morning. Between that and the salty breakfast sandwich, I was very happy when lunch rolled around and I paid 80 pence (~$1.60) for a 33 centiliter (330ml or ~12oz) bottle of Evian, which I refilled 3 times and then promptly lost. I'll have to remember to get a bigger bottle so I don't lose it as easily. I've seen some students with 1.5L bottles, but they look a bit too large and unwieldy.

No comments: